This phone remind me of Sony Ericsson P990i, once sought after phone in this part of the world. It’s the first QWERTY phone I have which it run on aging Symbian OS. The P-series phone continued by it’s successor P1, but without the QWERTY keypad. Since then I’n no longer follows Sony Ericsson phone, just like Nokia until it has killer app.
Sony Ericsson Aspen caught everyone attention because the fact that, this it the first smartphone run on Windows Mobile 6.5.3. It is no secret that Windows Mobile 6.5 has received lukewarm response from consumers mainly due to inconsistent navigation, lack of capacitive touch screen, multi touch as well as outdated UI in certain location and sluggish performance. When Windows Mobile 6.5.3 leaked couple of months ago with refreshed UI, it looks certain that this OS is going to be around soon to fix 6.5 version.
Beside the polished UI, Windows Mobile 6.5.3 also bring in slew of new features, such as capacitive touch screen with multi touch, some tweak on IE to improve performance. For the record HTC HD2 which run on Windows 6.5 is the first Windows Mobile smart phone that has capacitive touchscreen.
Instead of full touchscreen smartphone, it is QWERTY smartphone for business that first taste Windows Mobile 6.5.3 in the form of Sony Ericsson Aspen. Well, it kinda disappointing as full screen smartphone is what majority of us are looking for.
The sleek design may appeal to business users, with combination of touch screen and full QWERTY kaypad to navigate through the phone.
This phone has been covered by almost tech blog earlier on, so it is better that you read the press release which give you full detail about Sony Ericsson Aspen. Anyway, you can find more Sony Ericsson images here.
02 February 2010
- Latest addition to GreenHeart™ portfolio now allows consumers and companies to make a green choice on their Windows Phone
- Office at your fingertips with the latest version of Windows Phone
- Maximised message experience with QWERTY keyboard and finger friendly touch
- Have fun with Media Browser and PlayNow™
February 2, London, UK – Today sees the announcement of Sony Ericsson Aspen™, the business mobile phone with green credentials at its core. The newest edition to the successful Sony Ericsson GreenHeart™ portfolio, Sony Ericsson Aspen™, allows easy multi-tasking combining the touch experience and a real QWERTY keyboard. Organise and adapt panels to change during the day and use Slide View for quick access to common features.
With Sony Ericsson Aspen™, view and edit office files easily and comfortably with one touch operation, or just access the internet in one click. The QWERTY keyboard is made for fast and easy typing. Simple email set up allows for a maximized messaging experience on the go. Secure the phone’s contents through the Microsoft MyPhone service, which remotely erases phone data when the handset is lost or stolen.
“Sony Ericsson Aspen™ is the business phone with a conscience, perfect for any consumer or company who want to make a green choice in their daily work life.” Said Quentin Cordier, Global Marketing Manager, Sony Ericsson. “An affordable GreenHeart™ phone with the latest version of Windows Phone, the Sony Ericsson Aspen™ has a rich user interface and powerful productivity tools. But it’s not all about work, stay in touch with the fun parts of life with Media Browser and PlayNow ™, with simple access to social networks and quick and easy access to media files. Find the fun with a-GPS, Google Maps™ and snap pictures with the 3.2megapixel camera.”
Sony Ericsson Aspen™
- Modern office at your fingertips – latest version of Windows Phone
- Easy multi-tasking – Sony Ericsson Slide View and customisable panels
- Maximised message experience – QWERTY keyboard and finger friendly touch experience
- GreenHeart™ – for a greener choice
- Stay in touch with the fun parts of life – access fun applications at PlayNow™ such as games and new music
- Media browser – access music, photos and videos
- Social network tool (Windows Live™ Messenger, Facebook™)
- Human curvature design – fits into the palm of the hand
Sony Ericsson Aspen™ supports HSPA 900/2100 and EDGE 850/900/1800/1900, HSPA 850/900/2100 and EDGE 850/900/1800/1900.
Sony Ericsson Aspen™ will be available in selected markets from Q2 in the colours Iconic Black and White Silver.
Create your own phone booth with optional extra Bluetooth™ Noise Shield Handsfree VH700 and charge your phone the eco-friendly way with the Energy Saving Mini-Charger EP800.
Log on to The Sony Ericsson Product Blog for more information: http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products
Sony Ericsson Aspen™
- 3.2 megapixel camera
- 4x digital zoom
- Self timer
- Smart contrast
- Album art
- Bluetooth™ stereo (A2DP)
- Sony Ericsson media player
- Music tones (MP3/AAC)
- Stereo speakers
- Windows Media® Player Mobile
- Google™ search
- Internet Explorer® Mobile
- Pan & zoom
- Web feeds
- Polyphonic ringtones
- Vibrating alert
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync®
- Handwriting recognition
- Instant messaging
- Picture messaging (MMS)
- Predictive text input
- Text messaging (SMS)
- Auto rotate
- Media browser
- Picture wallpaper
- Full keyboard
- Wallpaper animation
- Windows Phone®
- 3D games
- FM radio with RDS
- Video streaming
- Video viewing
- Adobe® PDF Reader
- Alarm clock
- Flight mode
- Microsoft Office® Mobile
- Outlook® Mobile
- Phone book
- 3.5 mm audio jack
- Bluetooth™ technology
- Google Maps™
- Micro USB connector
- USB mass storage support
- USB support
Applications and panels
- SPB Mobile Shell 3.0 (Professional)
- SPB Mobile Shell 3.0 (Lifestyle)
- SEMC Greenheart Panel
- Microsoft Today
- Panel Manager
- Google Maps Latitude
- Google Mobile Application
- Send My Location
- Unified Search Application
- SPB Traveler and Weather combo
- YouTube™ panel
- Communication City/Day
- Communication City/Night
- On-The-Road Panel
- Windows® Live
- Gokivo Weather Panel
- Eco mate application
- GreenHeart™ panel
- Power saving mode
- Eco mate application
- Waterborne painting
- Recycle materials (Green charger, Green PHF, Green Box.
- 65,536 colour TFT
- 2.4 inches
- 240 x 320 pixels (QVGA)
- Sony Ericsson Aspen™
- Green charger
- HPM-60J GreenHeart™ Stereo portable handsfree
- 3.5mm jack
- Micro USB cable
- Bluetooth™ Noise Shield Handsfree VH700
- Dual connect charger
- 4GB MicroSD card
- Car charger
- Size: 117 x 60 x 12.45 mm
- Weight: 130 grams
- Memory card support: SanDisk microSD™, up to 16 GB
- Operating system: Windows Mobile® 6.5.3
- Talk time GSM/GPRS: Up to 10 hours
- Standby time: GSM/GPRS: Up to 450hrs
- Talk time UMTS: Up to 8 hours
- Standby time: UMTS: Up to 600 hrsMusic listening time: Up to 12hrs
Availability and versions
- UMTS HSPA 900/2100
- GSM GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
- UMTS HSPA 850/900/2100
- GSM GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
- Available in selected markets in Q2 2010
- Iconic Black
- White Silver
1) Facts and features may vary depending on local variant. 2) Operational times are affected by network
preferences, type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. playing games. Kit contents and colour options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market.
© Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, 2010
The Liquid Identity logo is a trademark or registered trademark of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB. Sony is a trademark or registered trademark of Sony Corporation. Ericsson is the trademark or registered trademark of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson. Additional information regarding trademarks may be located on our website at: www.sonyericsson.com/cws/common/legal/disclaimer.
Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. All terms are subject to change without prior notice.
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, SE-221 88 Lund, Sweden.
Printed in January 2010, R1A
Sony Ericsson is a 50/50 joint venture by Sony and Ericsson established in October 2001, with global corporate functions located in London and operations in all major markets. Our vision is to become the industry leader in communication entertainment where new styles of communication through the internet and social media become entertainment. Sony Ericsson offers exciting consumer experiences through phones, accessories, content and applications.